This herring salad has few layers of ingredients with herring on the bottom of it, that is why it is usually called Herring under a blanket. This is one of my favorite herring dishes for Christmas Eve and Christmas.
- 3 fillets salted herring
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 medium beetroots baked or cooked grated
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 eggs cooked hard
- 4tbs mayonnaise
- 2 tbs thick yogurt
- salt, pepper
- Cook potatoes and carrots in a peel.
- Cut herring into small cubes, mix with finely chopped onions, add pepper. Put on the bottom of the bowl.
- Mix mayonnaise with yogurt.
- Grated beetroots mix with 3 tbs of mayonnaise sauce and cover the herring in a bowl.
- Cut potatoes into small cubes- this would be the next layer in a bowl.
- Cut carrots finely and mix with mayo sauce left. Cover with it potatoes’ layer in a bowl.
- Grate eggs on small wholes grater and finish the bowl with it.
The salad is the best on the next day, when the flavors are mixed. Enjoy! Smacznego!
Why don’t you bake few more beets and prepare beetroot salad: http://cookinpolish.com/beetroot-salad/