Dumplings are cooked in many East and Central European countries, maybe this is about being Slavic, maybe they are just so tasty and we know how to prepare them:) Ruthenian dumplings – pierogi ruskie are basic Polish pierogi, you need to try them!
My grandmother’s book of traditional polish cuisine recipes is the first step.
- 0,5 kg/ 1,1 lb boiled potatoes
- 0,2 kg/ 7 oz cottage cheese
- 1 onion
- salt, pepper
- 0,35 kg/0,8 lb flour
- 1 egg
- 125 ml/0,5 cup of water
1. To prepare a filling mash potatoes with cottage cheese, add fried onion. Season with salt and pepper. I also add parsley, which makes a filling more colorful and gives a hint of vitamin C to my plate.
2. To prepare a dough place flour, egg, pinch of salt and water in the food processor and mix it with a hook until it’s smooth-it should take about 5-7 minutes.
3. Roll out the dough on a table. Use flour underneath if you don’t want it to get stuck to the table:)
4. Cut rounds with a glass or special dumpling maker, which I use also for assembling dumplings.
5. Place 1 tablespoon of cheese – potato filling on the middle of each round and seal the edges to close dumpling. You can use dumpling maker or just make dumplings in hand.
6. Boil water in a large pot, add salt. Place dumplings in the boiling water one by one, so that they would not stick to one other and not to lower the water temperature too much. Stir and wait until dumplings go up. Then, after 3 minutes, dumplings are ready!
7. Serve ruthenian dumplings – pierogi ruskie with sour cream or fried onion. Enjoy! Smacznego!:)
Try also Blueberry pierogi as a perfect dessert.
Comment on the post if you have questions, other ideas on the recipe or just enjoyed reading. I would be happy to see your thoughts on my posts!
Thanks for liking and sharing my recipes to your friends – it helps to develop my blog!